Orange County Legal Separation Attorney
Experienced Lawyers for California Legal Separation Matters
Whatever the reason for separation, it can be a viable option for couples that do not yet wish to obtain a divorce but want to live apart. Additionally, in a legal separation the couple's assets, debts and responsibility for making different parenting decisions are divided up. For some couples, it is a test run to determine whether or not they want to file for divorce later down the road. Neither partner is allowed to remarry or seek out partnership with another individual while they are legally separated, but not yet divorced. Both individuals are allowed to seek out spousal support, child custody, visitation rights and other items that are commonly dealt with in divorce cases.
Is Legal Separation Right for Me?
If you are confused whether divorce or legal separation is the right path for you, allow our Mission Viejo family law attorney to explain some of the more common motives involved.
Legal separation may be a viable option if one of the following applies to you:
- Religious reasons stand in the way of obtaining a divorce
- Personal values or beliefs are an obstacle for getting a divorce
- Residency requirements for divorce cannot be met according to California State laws
- Financial reasons such as health insurance or other benefits will be lost for one of the spouses if divorced
Following a similar process as divorce, legal separation may be the perfect option for those that eventually wish to dissolve their marriage, but currently cannot do so because of certain state laws.
California Requirements for Legal Separation
- The California Family Code §2321 states that that an individual can file for separation and then file for dissolution of marriage after the 6 month/3 month residency requirement is met.
- This residency requirement states that at least one of the spouses or partners must reside in California for a minimum of 6 months, and in their particular county for a minimum of 3 months before getting a divorce.
- Legal separation allows for couples who are waiting on their residency requirements to still be able to live separate lives in the meantime.
How a Skilled OC Legal Separation Lawyer Can Help
No matter how complicated your current situation is with your spouse or domestic partner, The Hunter Law Group can work with you to come up with a solution. Protecting your rights, assets and future during a legal separation or divorce is our primary goal. We realize that family law issues can be emotionally and financially draining. Allow us to provide you with a case evaluation to get you started on your way towards a favorable outcome. Our client testimonials speak to the fact that we have been successful time and again with past individuals and families throughout Orange County.
Contact us today at (888) 844-9281 if you are seeking a legal separation in Mission Viejo!
Giving You One-On-One Advice
When you schedule your initial consultation with our firm, you'll be able to speak directly with one of our experienced family law attorneys and begin discussing the specifics of your case.
Helping You Write The Next Chapter
We're committed to helping you move on with proactive legal solutions to help resolve a wide range of family law related concerns. To learn more, we recommend reaching out to our offices to schedule a consultation.
Decades of Legal Experience
Our team of legal professionals have a strong understanding of family law and the various elements that can affect your divorce, child support, and post-divorce agreement.
Customized Legal Solutions
At Hunter Law Group, we take our time to get to know you, your case, and the specifics of your situation to better provide legal solutions tailored to your specific case or legal concern.