Mission Viejo Spousal Support Payments
Alimony is an obligation that one spouse has to support their ex-spouse financially after
divorce. Determining who will be responsible and who will be the beneficiary of
the support can be a difficult process as there are many factors to consider
in this case.
Some of the many factors that will be considered in determining who will
be the beneficiary of support and
calculating the support payments include the following:
- How sufficient the individual's current income is to support themselves
- The extent to which the supported individual contributed to the attainment
of a career, training, education or license by the supporting individual
- The ability of the supporting individual to make spousal support payments
- The financial needs of each party
- The assets and liabilities of each party
- The duration of the marriage
- The age and health of each party
- Evidence of domestic violence
- Tax consequences to each party for these support payments
- The hardships to each party
In addition to these factors there are others that are considered, and
there are some factors that the court may determine just and equitable
to be considered for spousal support. Whether you are the beneficiary
or the spouse responsible to make spousal support payments, you may be
wondering how long the support must go on for. The general rule in California
is that if the marriage lasted less than 10 years then the spousal support
payments will be made for half of the total time that the marriage lasted.
At our firm, we also know that financial situations may change throughout
the duration of a spousal support payment order. In these cases, sometimes
it is fitting to request
spousal support modification.
How can our Orange County law firm help you?
Are you searching for an attorney for a spousal support case in Mission
Viejo, California? Attorney Hunter at The Hunter Law Group has over 15
years of experience handling divorce and family law. If you are making
spousal support payments or if you are supposed to receive spousal support
payments then our firm can help you to enforce these rights, modify these
arrangements and we can help in the case that you are trying to establish
these issues. Do not hesitate to
contact our firm for legal representation and for assistance in determining the best action
for you to take. Confidential case evaluations available.